Bio (what made you want to work in sports, high school/college, etc.)
I knew since high school sports was going to be a part of my future. I had planned to be a Sports Psychologist but, then realized in college when I was offered the opportunity to coach volleyball my pathway was going to change.
Past participation -what sports did you play/coach?
I began playing soccer in elementary and was introduced to volleyball, basketball, and track during junior high school. I participated in all 4 sports during high school, lettered in soccer as a freshman and volleyball my junior year. I was fortunate to get a volleyball scholarship to Southern University A&M in Baton Rouge, LA. I played 3 years (red shirt 1 year) and played softball intramural’s 2 years. Our volleyball team won 1st place SWAC Conference Championship and a Softball Intramural Championship.
I have coached soccer, volleyball, basketball, track and field.
A description of your professional journey to becoming a Director of Athletics
- Assistant volleyball coach at Southern University A&M under Hall of Famer- Nathaniel Denu and an assistant coach at Texas Southern University (volunteer) under Hall of Famer – Dwalah Fisher
High School and middle school journey:
- Middle school volleyball coach at Galena Park M.S. and Head girls’ varsity soccer (implemented the program 1999-2000) and assistant volleyball coach at Galena Park H.S. in Houston, TX
- Coached high school and middle school volleyball, basketball, soccer at Saint Mary’s Hall, assistant volleyball and track and field coach at Highlands H.S., head girls’ varsity volleyball and assistant soccer coach at John Jay H.S., San Antonio, TX
- Athletic Director at the School of Excellence in Education in San Antonio, TX
- I moved to Central Texas and Pflugerville ISD taught and announced for girls’ basketball games at Connally High School (2010). I then became the Health and PE Specialist (2014) and the first Assistant Athletic Director with Todd Raymond as newly Athletic Director (2017) in Pflugerville, TX
Camps and club journey:
- Coached club volleyball in Houston, San Antonio, and Round Rock, TX
- Coached volleyball summer camps: Nike, Debbie Sokol’s, Texas A&M and University of Texas
- Coached soccer summer camp: University of Texas
What school districts have you worked for?
East Baton Rouge Parish, Pasadena ISD, Galena Park ISD, San Antonio ISD, Northside ISD
Any notable or interesting aspects about your current position
Our district fluctuates every 2 years between 6A, 5A Division I and II, however we are able to compete at every level, this is commendable and an honor to have coaches, athletes and a community who through adversity finds a way to be competitive.
The Pfield Stadium opened up in 2017 and I setup headsets for home and visitors at the Pfield for varsity football games. The Pfield host playoffs for both football and soccer with teams that end up playing for state championships, we pride ourself on good customer service!
Who are some professional influences you have had throughout your career?
Both Hall of Famer’s I mentioned earlier Nathaniel Denu (SUAM) he has always been a father figure who told me early in coaching you can’t take things personal. Dwalah Fisher (TSU) I met her as a player and then worked with her, she has always shown resilience. Ed Warken (retired GPISD) gave me my first opportunity to be a head coach and implement a program, I’m still connected to some of those athletes who felt I made a positive difference in their life. Keith Williams (retired SMH) 1st athletic director I shadowed and learned to listen and watch before making harsh decisions. Gil Garza (retired DISD) friend and mentor I can call on anytime, he is always the same and always said, “You gotta have some want to.” Rhonda McWilliams (retired PfISD) sometimes people are in your corner even when you don’t know it, do right no matter what. Todd Raymond (GPISD) and Daniel Garcia (retired PfISD) control the controllable everything else be open and flexible as needed.
What are some major responsibilities you have in your current position?
I oversee 7 middle schools and this year we added Manor ISD middle schools giving us 10 schools within competition. Keeping up with policies and procedures within the district and UIL for our handbooks, CDL’s, cheer and physical activity for 32 campuses.
List any involvement with THSADA or other organizations
THASDA publications committee
THSCA presenter on resume writing
Alpha Kappa Alpha